IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO IS WORRIED ABOUT HIS/HER ONLINE PRIVACY, THEN THIS ARTICLE IS FOR YOU.
Browsing the internet without revealing your identity is a myth. First of all your ISP (Internet Service Provider) tracks your internet usage and statistics, your browsing history. Whenever you go online, websites identify you by your IP address and show you targeted contents. Search engines, social networking sites often analyze and sell your personal data to third parties in return of money. But there are ways by which you can prevent this most of time if you browse the web with precaution. In this post I am going to discuss one such way which is Tor browser.
What is Tor?
About Tor browser or Onion Router: “According to Tor official website “Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security.”
How it works?
Tor creates a distributed encrypted network. Instead of creating a direct connection, Tor redirects all your traffics through a hard to follow twisted encrypted network, minimizing your footprint as far as possible.
How to browse anonymously using Tor?
- Go the official Tor download page or Google Tor.
- Download Tor browser for your specific operating system.
- Install Tor browser.
- Run Tor browser. This new window will open.
- Click on “Connect” if you are not using any proxy. Otherwise click on “Configure”. I am going to make a direct connection to Tor. So, I will click on Connect.
- After this Tor browser will open for first time.
- Open a sample website to test. I am going to open my old blog.
- Tor circuit for this site section shows the way your connection is routed. See, you are successfully connected. You can also check your IP to see that your original IP is now hidden.
For Android Users
Download Orbot: Proxy with Tor from Google Playstore.
Tor maybe a medium but it is not an all round solution. Maintain additional safety precautions as usual.
- Don’t download Torrents using Tor.
- Use DuckDuckGo as search engine instead of Google in Tor.
- As Tor’s exit nodes are extremely dangerous, don’t submit unnecessary sensible information in any website.
- Don’t install any other extension or add-ons in Tor browser.
- Avoid full screen.
- And last but not least, use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for additional layer of security.
Tor’s visual appearance is same as Firefox.
Tor only controls the traffic going through the Tor browser, not all traffic of your computer.
The above article was previously posted on my old blog satadrumallick.me.
Make sure to read more articles on Apps Explored. More great articles are on the way and they will be posted soon. Visit our site regularly and subscribe to the newsletter on the left to receive email notifications about new posts. Also do like, share this article and comment to let us know your views.
Stay with us on this journey of exploring apps together!